Vera's Blueberry Delight
June 28, 2012
- 15 slices homemade type bread (2 loaves monk break; crusts trimmed and cut into cubes)
- 16 ozs cold cream cheese cut into chucks (freeze & unfreeze so it cuts more easily)
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 10 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cups milk
Recipe by our neighbor Vera Von Atta of 10,000 Delights Bed & Breakfast.
- Arrange 1/2 bread cubes in buttered 15in x 10x glass baking dish. Scatter cream cheese over break and then blueberries. Layer the rest of the bread. Whisk eggs, syrup and milk and pour over bread mixture. Chill covered overnight.
- Bake covered with foil in 350 degrees oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil & bake 30 minutes more. (To prevent burning bottom you can bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes (then at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour.)
- For sauce, stir together sugar, cornstarch and water and cook stirring occasionally until thickened. Stir in blueberries and simmer mixture stiffing for 10 minutes. Add butter and stir until melted.