The Ancient Art of Dry Laid Stone
with DJ Kitzel
Dates & Times: Please choose the July or August session
- Friday, July 24, 2020: Dinner from 6:30-9:30pm
- Saturday, July 25 & Sunday July 26, 2020: 9:00am-4:00pm
- Friday, August 7, 2020: Dinner from 6:30-9:30pm
- Saturday, August 8 & Sunday, August 9, 2020: 9:00am-4:pm
Hunt Country Vineyards, 4021 Italy Hill Rd., Branchport NY
Tickets: $275 per session, choose one session - Includes dinner, two lunches, wine, & instruction.
PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED: No walk-ins. Space limited to 14 students.
We are so pleased to be working with DJ Kitzel again this summer, offering two more sessions of his dry laid stone workshops here at Hunt Country Vineyards. Getting to know DJ over this year has been a pleasure for us and our team. He is such a great instructor and sharer of talent, creativity, and skill. Choose from two sessions and spend a weekend learning from this talented stone mason, teacher, artist, and renaissance man.
Come with little or no prior experience and learn techniques of ancient stone masonry.
Dry Laid Stone:
Dry-laid stonework is the ancient art of building with stone without the use of mortar. Common in the United Kingdom and other parts of the world, it is becoming increasingly popular in North America in functional hardscapes. This two-day course is designed to be a primer in the contemporary skills and applications of this timeless trade. Currently, there are few dry-laid stone workers in the Finger Lakes and demand is growing.
This course will be a hands-on experience of dry-laid wall construction. Students who complete the course will be able to build free-standing stone walls, retaining walls, foundations, walkways and stairs. Hands-on learning will be mixed with direct instruction, discussion and working lunches. Participants will learn the tools, techniques, materials and traditions of this accessible art form.
This portable skill set is in demand by landscapers and builders alike. The trade requires few tools to get started. Other benefits of dry-laid stonework include personal creativity, fitness, and a deep connection to an ancient human experience.
There will be a tent on site to protect students from sun and rain. All tools and materials will be provided. Participants should dress for the weather and wear sturdy shoes. Sunscreen, sun hat and a water bottle are recommended. You are also welcome to bring safety glasses, work gloves and any personal tools.
D.J. Kitzel is a stonemason, certified English teacher, and licensed wilderness guide with 26 years of experience in the building trades, 22 years in masonry trades. He has worked on historic structures and new builds across Rochester and the Finger Lakes region while pursuing a life-long interest in traditional trades.
- Dinner on Friday Evening: TBD
- Lunches include a glass of wine or other beverage: TBD
* Please let us know ahead of time if you have any dietary restrictions.
- Dinner at 6:30 on Friday will include introductions, course overview, expectations, safety
- D.J. will provide instruction, all tools needed, and work songs.
- Group starts at 9:00 on Saturday and Sunday, end at 4:00
- Instruction will be a combination of lecture, demonstration, and hands-on work to construct a functional wall/bench for the entryway to the tasting room.